Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hustle & Bustle

This time of year is always VERY busy ... baking, shopping, wrapping ... doing it all to prepare for the Christmas season.  Over the past few weeks, I have been going through the motions ... doing everything I can to enjoy every minute of the hustle and bustle ... but, this year, it is difficult to find the excitement ... the peace I once had ...

Of course, at this time next year, I hope to be looking back and giving thanks for FINALLY being CANCER-FREE and enjoying life again ...

For now, though ... my next treatment is looming ... and, for whatever reason, I am especially worried about the side-effects.  More than anything, I want to get through these next few weeks without any long-term, lingering effects.

One thing I know for sure ... I will be losing my hair!  Luckily, it isn't permanent ... and, although it is something I am NOT looking forward to, one of my dear friends, Tim Martin, gave me a new perspective ... something I really hadn't thought about ...

Tim lives in Indianapolis.  His wife, Kathleen, and I are the greatest of friends.  Since moving home from Indiana, we have deeply missed the Martin family, but have managed to see them at least once a year over the past five years.  This week, Tim sent me a message ... hoping to make plans for a summer gathering.  Of course, for me, the summer would be perfect ... I will be finished with treatment, feeling MUCH better, and I won't be completely bald ...

This is what he wrote ... "When you look in the mirror, you may see bald.  As for me, I see strength and courage ... and a big middle finger to cancer."  Surprisingly, I have always thought of my being bald as an embarrassment ... to myself, my husband, and my children. So, these words brought tears to my eyes ... but also a smile ... maybe bald isn't so bad ...

Thank you, Tim ...

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Another life blessing, Jill. Everyone who loves you will love your head, with or without hair!!!
Remember to give gifts to yourself this season...maybe a slower schedule, lots of rest for you, watching the children enjoy the magic of Christmas, a massage.
I will pray you will find contentment this holiday season, and gratitude for all the blessings in your life.
Love,
Kelly

debbie said...

I too, will see strength, courage and our BEAUTIFUL daughter-in-law!! Love you!!

Jenny said...

I came across this and thought if you...
"courage does not always roar. sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "i will try again tomorrow"

I love you!

Becky said...

You have always been beautiful to me Jill....and you always will be. Your hair has nothing to do with who, or what, you are. I will be more than proud to walk beside you. Embarassed? No way! I couldn't be more proud of you Jill. I love you.
Mom