Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Winding Down

This summer has been SUPER busy and I really cannot believe that it is almost over.  We have had so much fun and I have taken little time to write.  I suppose that's a really good thing ... a sign that I am moving on and getting back to my amazingly charmed life ...

The week before last, our friends from Florida came for a quick visit.  Tim, Cindy, and their kiddos, Faith, Cloey, Jayden, and Alana, stayed with us for a couple of nights ... it was a really nice visit!  Although we enjoyed every minute, we really had the BEST time at Stone Mountain.  We loaded up the kids and headed to the big rock for a day of FUN ...

We started the day by heading up the mountain ... what a GREAT way to see Atlanta ...

Skyride to the top of the rock ...

Jayden, Maddie, Faith, Cloey, and Andrew

Next, we ate lunch and headed to Sky Hike ...

Sky Hike

Faith and Maddie ... WAY up there ...

Andrew and Scott

The kids ... and Scott and Tim ... spent nearly two hours working through the course.  They all had a GREAT time!  Next, it was time to cool off at Geyser Towers and then on to a relaxing train ride around the base of the mountain.  We finished the day with some time in The Great Barn, filled will slides and climbing structures, and a 4-D Yogi Bear movie.  It truly was a day filled with FUN!

The Belingers left the following day and Scott and I headed to Emory for an appointment with a genetic counselor and an exam with Dr. O'Regan.  Everything went very well ...

Surprisingly, this was our first meeting with a genetic counselor.  Until now, we have worked with other doctors to complete the necessary testing.  And, although we learned shortly after my diagnosis that I am negative for the BRCA 1 & 2 gene mutations, this result only accounts for about 94% of mutations that indicate a high risk of breast cancer. So, I submitted additional saliva for testing.  We should have the results in the next week or so.  These results will help us better understand my risk for other cancers as well as risk factors for our children.

My appointment with Dr. O'Regan was uneventful.  No blood work.  This appointment consisted of a quick physical exam and an opportunity to ask questions.  And, at this point, we have very few questions ... and that is a SHOCKER!  No additional trips to Emory until October!

In addition to these appointments, I also saw Dr. Woods for the last time until my exchange surgery.  I have finally reached my desired breast size ... weird ... and am ready to get these awful expanders OUT of my body!  So, surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, August 22nd at Piedmont Hospital.  Although I am not looking forward to the recovery, I am very much looking forward to being one step closer to completing reconstruction ... and to REALLY nice boobs! 

Well, these past few weeks have been busy ... we have had LOTS of fun and accomplished so much!  Now, we are winding down from a GREAT summer and ready to bring on the school year ... and the beginning of many NEW experiences and wonderful memories ...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Looks like life has returned to abnormally normal days for you, Jill! Blessed normal...........

Love,
Kelly