On the Today Show this morning, they aired a segment on breasts with Dr. Peterson, an internist and medical contributor for Women's Health Magazine ...
First, she discussed breast cancer risk factors ...
1. Age - One in eight women under the age of 40 and two in three women over the age of 55 will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
2. Family History - Obviously, if you have a family history of breast cancer, you are at a greater risk of being diagnosed in your lifetime.
3. Menstrual Cycle - Women who had their first menstrual cycle before the age of 12 are at a greater risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer.
4. Alcohol Use - The more a woman drinks, no matter what type of alcohol, the greater her risk of a breast cancer diagnosis.
5. Childbirth - Women who give birth later in life, after 30 specifically, are at a greater risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer.
Before I continue with the report, I would like to mention that I fit NOT ONE of these risk factors ... I am under the age of 40 with NO family history ... I started my period after the age of 12 ... I am NOT a heavy drinker, not even a moderate one ... and I gave birth to both of my children before the age of 30 ...
So, based on the risk factors above, if I were to have listened to the following recommendations ... well, you know what the outcome could have been ...
Currently, it is recommended that women have their first mammogram at the age of 40 ... REALLY?
And, as far as breast self-exams are concerned ... from the mouth of Dr. Peterson herself ...
"Breast self-exams are considered optional now because they're not completely proven to be a benefit as a screening tool."
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Please, please DO NOT listen to this advice ...
For those that do not know, I saw my gynecologist in April ... was given a breast exam ... and nothing. Just three months later, while conducting my own exam, I found a lump ... what if I had waited until NEXT April?
As I have said before ... PLEASE FEEL YOUR BOOBIES ... it could save your life ...
Here's to common sense ...
3 comments:
Amen. And, you know...we might expect this from a male doctor who has no real concern or experience with any of it...but a female doctor spouting this nonsense? All women after the point of puberty need to be checking their breasts regularly...not just during breast cancer month. the annual exam, or on the 11th of each month. All the time.
It took me about 30 years to realize we know our own bodies better than any doctor. It is everyone's personal responsibility to ask questions and follow through if you think something is wrong.
Thank God you were not complacent about your own self exams, Jill. It has saved your life.
I have gotten my mammogram recently after 4 years without one, because of you, Jill. Keep up the good fight Princess...you have become our Warrior!
Love,
Kelly
I would just like to say that I found myself in your exact predicament! I didn't start my period until I was 14, there was no family history at all except my mother who had passed away only 8 months prior to my own diagnosis, and I had both my children before the age of 27. I, too, had been to the gynocologist and had a breast exam only 3 months prior to finding a lump. And although I enjoyed drinks in my early twenties, I had hardly touched alcohol at all in a very long time. I decided to start self breast exams after my mother died, even though the doctors told me that because she was not diagnosed until "later" in her life, it did not put me at much of an increased risk. I felt something, and thank goodness I had a doctor who listened to me right away. And sure enough, I found myself with breast cancer at the age of 31. Unheard of. But here I am, almost 5 years later and doing fabulous! Just like you will be before you know it! I love to keep up with your blog, and am so thrilled at how well everything is going! Just keep going straight ahead, and soon you will find this all far behind you.
Post a Comment