Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Anticipating Bald

The past few days, even weeks, have brought much anticipation of the inevitable ... losing my hair!  Although I didn't think I would be bothered by baldness ... I am REALLY not looking forward to it ... not one bit ...

Already, my hair, all over my body, has started to thin ... and my eyelashes are slowly falling out.  There is just nothing fun about being a women and having little or no hair ...

Tonight, though, Scott and I spent some time talking with Maddie about my diagnosis. We haven't spent much time talking about it ... instead, we have put all of our efforts into keeping things as normal as possible.  But, since Maddie is dreading my baldness as much as I am, we thought it might be helpful to show her that I am not alone ... that this happens to LOTS of women ... one of which took her slick scalp all the way to the Grammy stage ...

Melissa Etheridge & Joss Stone
2005 Grammy Awards
(Melissa Etheridge @ 2 minutes, 30 seconds)

For me, and for Maddie, I think ... this video was reassuring ... even comforting.  I can only imagine the strength and courage it took for Melissa Etheridge to stand on that stage before millions of people ... possibly more bald than the day she was born ... 

Hopefully ... when that day comes for me ... I, too, will find the courage to sport my bald head ... to find pride in myself and what I am fighting for ... and to never be ashamed of who I am ... or what I look like, however difficult it may be ... 

Here's to embracing bald ... 

4 comments:

Ally Simmons said...

Thinking of you Jill, today and everyday.

Kelly said...

Think about it this way, Princess.......

A woman can do anything better than a man, right???

Bald is beautiful, especially on a Princess Warrior!!!

Love,
Kelly

Becky said...

The bald thing has nothing to do with who you are...it's just what you will have...for a while. So, while there isn't much at all that's good about any of this...just think...you may end up with really thick curly hair, long eyelashes, huge huge ta-tas! That can't be too bad . Love you my sweet Princess Warrior!
Mom

Becky said...

The bald thing has nothing to do with who you are...it's just what you will have...for a while. So, while there isn't much at all that's good about any of this...just think...you may end up with really thick curly hair, long eyelashes, huge huge ta-tas! That can't be too bad . Love you my sweet Princess Warrior!
Mom