Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Little Things

This past weekend, as I witnessed the exchange of beautiful wedding vows and enjoyed the celebration of two lives joined together in love ... I couldn't help but wonder if I will be there for my children ... to share the joyous moments in their lives ...

Will I be there for prom?  Graduation?  Will I stand with pride as Scott gives Maddie away?  Will I dance with my son on his wedding day?  Will I have the opportunity to meet my grandchildren?

It is difficult to think about the future ... and as I continue on this journey, I am constantly reminded that this is really happening ... cancer is now and always will be a part of my life ... of who I am ... and, it could take all of these precious moments from me ...

Of course, as real as it is for someone with cancer ... I realize that life is fragile for everyone.  There are absolutely no guarantees ... no matter what ...

So, as difficult as it is at times, I make every effort ... every day ... to cherish the little things ... and I hope and pray that you do, too ...

Here's to the little things ...

3 comments:

GloriaL said...

You will enjoy all those little moments and many more!! It was great to see you today!! You can do it!!!!

Becky said...

Dear, dear Jill: The fears you have about the future are part of all of us. Keep focused on the fact that you have had amazing results and very few of the expected side affects from your treatments. Someone up there is looking out for you. Special moments in our lives happen every day. I am quite sure you will be there for all of them with your babies and theirs. I love you.
Mom

Kelly said...

I'm happy to hear you had a wonderful weekend!
If thinking about the future is difficult....practice staying in the "now". We are only guaranteed the moment we are in, nothing more. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone, we begin to die the moment we are born, life is terminal, no one makes it out alive etc.
If the unknown of your future is bringing "dis-ease", practice controlling the doomed tape in your head. It is not real! This is your battle, Princess. The doctors and your supporters are taking care of the cancer, you must keep self inflicted negativity at bay!
Fight the fight to stay in the celebration and gratitude of the HERE AND NOW.
Love,
Kelly