Sunday, March 18, 2012

Road to Recovery

It has been well over two weeks since my surgery and I am doing quite well ... all things considered!

The road to recovery has been better than I expected.  Honestly, I have had very little pain ... just discomfort that is easily managed with pain medication.  Of course, my chest feels very different and that takes some getting used to, as you can imagine.  For me, the most frustrating part of the healing process is my inability to do much of anything.  Thankfully, I have had LOTS of help around the house and with the kids. We have had home-cooked meals from friends and neighbors delivered every evening. And, I have received the sweetest cards and several bouquets of flowers.  I feel so blessed.

Luckily, I am healing quickly and my plastic surgeon is pleased with my progress.  Just six days after surgery, I had all four of my drains removed.  What a relief ...


Although the drains weren't painful, they were cumbersome ... and gross.  Having them removed was quite an experience ... not something I would choose to do again, but not as painful as you might think.  Anyhow, they are gone now ... thank goodness.

Otherwise, I continue to sleep on my back which, for me, is not the most comfortable position.  And, until the end of this week, I am to continue to "keep things quiet up there" ... as my surgeon says ... allowing my body to heal as completely as possible before resuming normal activity.  I am very much looking forward to using my arms again ... and getting back to a regular routine.  Until then, I am taking it easy and trying to enjoy the pampering as much as possible.

Here's to the many, many people who have lent a helping hand over the past couple of weeks ... you all are the BEST ...

4 comments:

Becky said...

You are truly an amazing woman Jill. I love you so much.
Mom

debbie said...

You really are amazing and we also love you so very much!!
Debbie and Jim

debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

Thanks so much for keeping us all up to date on your recovery progress. You remain the Princess Warrior meeting every challenge the new day brings with strength, determination and beauty. You have brought out the magnificent woman within you, setting an example for all who have followed your story!
Love,
Kelly