Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dr. Barber

Well, today I am pleased to be writing ... yesterday would have been a different story ...

Yesterday morning, Scott and I met with Dr. Carlson at Emory.  He is a surgical oncologist as well as a plastic surgeon.  We have seen him once before ... shortly after my diagnosis. Our first impression was wonderful ... I was extremely happy with the encouragement he gave me at our first meeting and was very much looking forward to talking with him again.  Well, the appointment didn't go so well ...

Perhaps it was just a VERY busy day in the office.  Perhaps the scheduling was done incorrectly.  Perhaps we should have been more specific when making the appointment. Either way ... we were able to spend a WHOPPING 10 minutes with Dr. Carlson ... 10 MINUTES!  I am planning a surgery to remove CANCER from my body, eliminate ALL of my breast tissue, and reconstruct brand new boobs ... and I get 10 MINUTES ... what a COMPLETE joke!

Apparently, Dr. Carlson had a prior speaking engagement and very limited time to meet with his patients.  Of course, this was never mentioned at the time of scheduling.  And, because we've met with him previously, we were only given a 15 minutes time slot ... WHATEVER!  So, needless to say, I left Emory yesterday feeling VERY frustrated ... and a little defeated!

Well, today was a COMPLETELY different story ...

This afternoon, we had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Barber at Piedmont Hospital.  He is a breast surgeon who specializes in the treatment of breast cancer.  For starters, our appointment was scheduled for 3:00 ... and we were just a few minutes early.  We completed the necessary paperwork, briefly met with the nurse, and were speaking with Dr. Barber before 3:15.  We left his office at 5:45 ...

Honestly, I could not have asked for a better afternoon ...

Dr. Barber was extremely thorough.  He explained ALL of the surgical options, his recommendations, and answered EVERY one of our questions ... with patience, compassion, and expertise.  AND ... before he walked us out ... we were given his personal cell phone number should any questions arise in the future.

Keep in mind, both of these doctors were highly recommended to us by my medical oncologist, Dr. O'Regan.  So, for me, today sealed the deal ... Dr. Barber will be my surgeon ... and I feel GREAT about my decision!

Here's to March 2nd ... SURGERY DAY!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Bravo Princess Warrior! I am convinced that everything happens for a reason. You were meant to be with Dr. Barber. While the experience with Carlson was disappointing, and hurtful....it made your decision an easy one. It's all about you being confident and comfortable. Mission accomplished. I love you.
Mom

Steve said...

God works in mysterious ways! Obviously HIS schedule indicated that Carlson wasn't the right one for you so HE made that quite obvious. Looking back over your journey so far it is amazing the things that have happened and the people who have been placed in your life at just the right time! Dr. Barber being just the latest one. You are blessed for success!
I love YOU!
Dad

Kelly said...

I'm glad you feel so confident about working with Dr. Barber during the reconstructive phase of your return to cancer free living. Life has a way of presenting just the challenges we need to learn and grow, it seems you have experienced a little life this week. You're doing great, Jill, keep doing what you are doing and all will be well!
Love,
Kelly