Thursday, January 5, 2012

Six Down ... Two To Go

WHEW ... today was REALLY long and I am thankful it is finally over ...

As usual, we arrived at Emory for the usual blood work and an appointment with Dr. O'Regan.  Since we haven't seen her since my ultrasound in December, we discussed the results ... and, of course, she is VERY pleased.  She used the term "clinical complete response" ... and it was like music to my ears!!!  We were reminded, as I expected, that there may still be cancer cells present that are not detectable through even the very best imaging ... BUT, Dr. O'Regan is extremely happy with my response to treatment and seems hopeful that we will get to surgery with GREAT results from chemotherapy ...

After the appointment, I was feeling quite good.  We headed to the infusion lab for my treatment and then everything came to a screeching halt.  Although I don't completely understand the details, my blood counts were too low to receive the medication ... 990 ... and they needed to be at least 1000.  They offered to redraw the blood to check for changes.  At that point, I was encouraged to run ... so I ran 8 flights of stairs ... had my blood redrawn ... and ... IT WORKED!  The counts went from 990 to 1292.  It was quite strange, but who cares ... we were off to treatment ...

Although we started much later than I would have liked, the beginning of the process went much more smoothly this time.  I was given Benedryl orally rather than intravenously ... better ... a lot BETTER.  First of all, I didn't feel quite as strange ... just a little tired.  And, again, no reaction to the medication ... YEAH! Finally, after a three hour infusion ... I am one step closer to the finish line ...

Round 6 ... DONE ...


As always, I am thankful to be home, relaxing with my Corona ...

JUST TWO MORE ...

Thank you ... thank you ... thank you ... I am so very blessed to have each of you in my life.  Your prayers are working, God is listening, and I am one step closer to CANCER-FREE ... what a GREAT day!

Here's to being VERY blessed ...

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow! What a roller coaster day or maybe a marathon of a day with the running and all! You go girl! COMPLETE CLINICAL RESPONSE...I haven't read such wonderful words in a long time....you go girl! And changing your blood count by running.... you go girl! We're going to start calling you Princess of Power pretty soon....you go girl!!!!!!
Love,
Kelly

Matthew said...

Rock on !!!

Becky said...

I cannot even begin to tell you how your having to go through all of this makes the people who love you feel. We are on the roller coaster ride with you my sweet girl. You are an amazing, strong, powerful woman. We are all so very proud - and in awe - of you. Hang in there baby...you are on the road home. I love you.
Mom