Friday, September 2, 2011

Treatment Plan

As you know, I began treatment last night ... and feel great relief in FINALLY beginning the road to becoming cancer-free!  Of course, it will be a LONG road and I thought I would share with you a little about the final treatment plan ...

For the first four weeks, I will take only an oral medication called Sorafenib.  Although I will be taking this medication alone in the beginning, I will continue it for the duration of my treatment. 

On Thursday, September 29th, I will begin chemotherapy.  During the first four infusions, which will take place every three weeks, I will be administered a drug called Cisplatin.  Then, for the remaining four infusions, a very commonly used drug in the treatment of breast cancer, Taxol, will be used.  This portion of the treatment will take place every two weeks. 

If everything goes as planned, I should complete my oral medication and chemotherapy by the end of January ... and, God willing, I will have a 100% response to the treatment!  Then, off to surgery ...

Until then, I will be spending quite a bit of time at the Winship Cancer Institute at Emory University Hospital ...

 

Although I never imagined that I would walk through these doors ... it is the direction my life has taken.  And, I thank God each day for providing me such an amazing place ... a place where I can heal and prepare for the wonderful future that lies ahead!

6 comments:

Becky said...

God bless you...and Windship and the amazing doctors who will guide you through your "Journey to Survivor". I love you.
Mom

Kelly said...

Good morning, Jill. Thank you again for sharing your experience with all of us through your blog. If you ever need anyone to go to chemo with you, let me know, I'd be happy to keep you company. Wishing you a wonderful day!
Love,
Kelly

Matthew said...

While at Emory, keep in mind that I work downtown and I'm here all day everyday if you need anything!

debbie said...

I am so very proud to call you my daughter-law! God bless you every step of the way!! I love you!!

Faye said...

Daily prayers continue for you, your family and the doctors. I love your positive attitude.

LaDonna said...

Jill, I too walked into Winship everyday for 6 weeks and then I walked out healthy.... I know you will too!!